Sunday started off as most of them do, overly tired from the week and anxious about getting everyone ready and on time to church. Claire and Tyler were just waking up and we all went to the kitchen for breakfast. I dished up their cereal before opening the blinds to see the massive amount of snow. Our driveway is such that it absolutely has to be shoveled if there is any hope of getting onto the street. Instantly, all of the excuses for not going to church started to creep into my head. "Youll have to shovel it and you'll probably hurt your back", "It will take you a long time and you will for sure be late", "You'll miss the sacrament so why even go", "What does it matter to just miss one week", Ect, ect. Now I must also say the past month or so has been really tough at church. The kids have a really hard time getting along and being reverent during sacrament. Whitney is the hardest because she is really loud so it is almost a given that either Matthew or myself end up in the hall with her. Last Sunday at Stake conference was the absolute worst and I was in tears at one point just wanting to disapear. We sat by an older couple that kept looking over with stares of disaproval. I brought snacks in sandwhich bags which Whitney dumped multiple times (I have vowed to never bring food again), and the kids were fighting over every single toy. Anyways, so needless to say I have been having a hard time. So of course, this snowy morning the last place I want to be is in a quite building trying to keep my noise children reverant and entertained. However, even stronger than the voices telling me to just stay home another voice spoke much louder, "Show the Lord what the Gospel means to you". Before I could push the thought away I quickly got in my snow clothes and went out the door.
It was a very quite morning with no cars on the road, no one else out shoveling, and no snow plows on the road. Remember when I said there was a massive amount of snow? Well, I wasn't kidding! I am not an expert shoveler and there is probably a much more effective way to move the snow but it takes me forever! There was so much snow that just one push across is not enough so all extra snow spills over the top. So back and forth up and down I go. Now the thoughts are coming. "Maybe there is something I really need to hear at church today?" No. "Maybe it's important the kids see me out here shoveling?" No. "Maybe we will have an emergency and need the driveway shoveled so we can leave?" No. I am not saying this aren't all good valid reasons but it wasn't the reason I needed to be out there shoveling. The thought came again. "Show the Lord what the Gospel means to you." When it's not easy are you going to put in the effort? When there are physical, mental, and emotional barriers will you clear them and show up for God? When it gets tough will you rise to meet the challenge? I pondered on these thoughts and did some major soul searching. When I was all but done shoveling I got another feeling that church was going to be canceled. I wasn't out there shoveling so I could get to church but so I could show Heavenly Father that I would do what it takes, even when it isn't easy. It was a wonderful reminder to make the Gospel and my relationship with Him a priority. I am so grateful for challanges that help me grow into the person my Father needs and wants me to be. I hope I can always "show the Lord was the Gospel means to me".
No comments:
Post a Comment